View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Relatively new player - am I doing something wrong?

Hey guys, couple questions.

I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos and then practicing to try and improve my form, but I've really only been playing for a couple of months.

One of the most common themes I hear from experienced players is that you should start out with mid range neutral and/or stable discs and not even really try to throw drivers for your first year or so.

I've been throwing primarily a Buzzz Z (166), and to a lesser extent an R Pro Roc (172) [by the way I know everyone hates the R Pro plastic, i picked it up at the store for cheap and I actually kind of like the way it feels].

Anyway, I have a lot more discs that I either found, were given, or bought myself, so I go and throw around on a soccer field a couple times a week to try to practice. I'd say most often I'm throwing somewhere in the 275-300' range.

Since I'm just a beginner, I've been trying to focus on using my Leopards (just cheap, 150's/DX plastic). The problem is that I turn them over nearly 100% of the time. I know the Leopard is a relatively understable disc, but I wonder if I just have bad form.

I'm tempted to think that I might be generating enough speed to step up to something bigger, but I'd rather learn how to throw right early on than screw myself up for life.

(FWIW, I also have a Champ Eagle that I found, and I seem to be able to throw it much more predictably... I also have a Valkyrie and Archon that I mess around with... I can get some throws in the 300-350' range, but I wouldn't really use them on the course)