View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeterrbear View Post
I don't really know anything about it, but based on some of the useful stuff in this thread I would assume that the technological issues would be with the 'copter and the life of the batteries and increases in ambient noise.

But I don't know. It bears repeating. I don't know.
Relax brother I'm not going to jump down your throat. I just hate it when people get bullied because they're not part of the DGCR groupthink.

Battery life is an issue - I'm not sure about RC copters (I started doing a little research after reading this thread but that's a rabbit-hole of a hobby) but I know that with DSLR's it would be. You would either have to roll the camera before takeoff and fly around hoping it stays recording, or invest in a wireless monitor/controller combo which has a reliability question and would depend on the distance from you to the copter-camera.

The reliability factor is a big question too. I know personally I wouldn't put my $1200 DSLR on a copter rig...I'd mount a GoPro but that's about it, lol. If it were to crash there's a high percent chance your camera is DONEZO.

In order to hedge the bet on reliability you'd have to bring out a seasoned pro RC pilot (operator?), and unless they're REALLY into disc golf you can't count on them doing it for free.

Then if you're paying this guy/gal - you probably want to be able to make on-the-fly adjustments to the footage you're getting so you're not wasting money, so then it becomes an issue of seeing what you're shooting. You either need to land/takeoff with every group that passes through, or you need the aforementioned wireless apparatus which are pricey if they work.

^^ This is basically a flowchart of concerns if you were to take this technology at current stage and try to adapt it to a professional sports endeavor.

IMHO, I think this technique definitely warrants further development, and it's definitely doable on a large budget where you can afford all the toys to properly execute it...but disc golf doesn't have the profitability yet. When disc golf's profitability approaches technology's affordability we can adapt this technique more widely.