View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Fair or foul for what level of player?

If my proportions are correct, it looks like about ~12' wide corridor. One thing that makes it "effectively narrower" is the pine needle floor - big skips for any shot landing with any fade.

For those that can reach 385' it with a routine drive, it seems much too narrow to hold any intrigue. I think it would be a boring/frustrating hole for them as it is either a drive landing in putting range (too small a percentage of the time), so all that is left for variation is an easy/boring recovery shot.

For those that throw 240' accurately, it seems more interesting. 75% power controlled approach gets you 180, with a 100' approach remaining (I would prefer more like a 65-75% power approach - 170').

IMO, this 12' corridor could make a cool 2-throw hole if it is made up of two 75% throws. That way, it makes the player decide how much they want to bite off on the drive to yield an easier approach.
The event will be one tee for all divisions. *As a temp course set up, the amount of work to get two tees or more per hole isn't in the cards.

It doesn't interest me much at all. I like having a pin placement in the trees and have the tee a hundred or more outside of the trees. I think trying to hit your spot might be more of a challenge than trying to play right down the center.

I also think a tee inside the trees with the first 50-100 feet be straight out the shoot would be fun.

I just wonder if we don't give players the option to play that 385' down the trees if they'll be disappointed.