View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I think those terms have a bit of a regional bias, just like the ratings. If everything in one area is completely flat, the course with one small hill is going to get labeled hilly. Same thing with the park style course among desert courses.
To Mashnut's point (lifted from a different thread about Selah Ranch):
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Help me out, those that have played at Selah.

Creekside is listed as Mostly Flat and Lightly Wooded.
Lakeside is listed as Moderately Hilly and Heavily Wooded.

Huh?

Is that right?

If not, please update the listing.

See here for fun comparisons:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=81274

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMagoo View Post
I would consider both to be moderately hilly and lightly/moderately wooded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I'd consider both to be pretty damn flat.
StuMagoo and Martin see things a bit differently. The difference is that Stu's played 53 courses: a decent amount, (and certainly more than quite a few folks), but all in Texas. That's his "DG frame of reference." I wouldn't doubt Selahs courses are moderatlely hilly, for Texas.

But having played tons of courses in essentially every (and not just a couple in each state, but many courses in pretty much each state) Martin probably has very little (if any) "regional" bias. His concept of wooded/open, hilly/flat is based on "DG frame of reference" most of us can't even dream of. Wouldn't surprise me if every course he's played in Texas seems flat.

No offense intended toward StuMagoo (or anyone else for that matter). This just seemed like a perfect example to illustrate how regional bias can affect what we read.