View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckfreely View Post
What about the player with a 950-970 rating, who has all the plastic they need, and usually fails to cash in the Open division.
How do you keep that player coming back every weekend to a tournament?
I can answer that one.

my current rating is about 930... it's gone down from 948 the past few months because of stupid decisions (trying to play injured, mostly).

I took a few months off, healed up, practiced and I feel I'm personally playing at a 950-970 type of level now.

Last year, I played AM1 all year... probably 12 tourneys, about 7 PDGA. Sometimes I would suck, sometimes I would come soooooooo close to winning... lots of 2nds and 3rds but never that elusive first AM1 win.

First tourney of this year I had a decision to make, play AM1 again or just try out Pro open. I knew most of the pros playing, played with them all the time and I could hold my own but probably not win. I was so sick of winning plastic and played Pro Open. I wanted to see where i was headed, and how to get there, not try to be the best where I was comfortable being.

Out of 22 pro players (several sponsored by disc companies), I was tied for 5th after round one, and slipped to 12th after 3 terrible shots/decisions at the end of round 2. I would have won AM1.

IFFF (big if) you want to get better and even think you possibly have the time and skill to play Pro, then give it a shot. To answer your question, how do you keep coming back if you know you're not going to win, for me it's not about winning, it's about figuring out how to be the best I can possibly be. I know EXACTLY what I did wrong 2nd round and have worked on those mistakes, and I can't wait to try again.