View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
That being said, I think maintaining the status quo contributes to unnecessarily high entry fees, and keeps out a lot of would be tournament players who might bite if said fees were half of what they currently are. As long as we keep doing what we've always done, we are not likely to get those folks on board, and we are going to always get what we've always gotten.
I think that's one thing that's going on with disc golf.

Here's my experience with organized competition that I posted in another thread:

Quote:
That's the argument you always hear but I don't buy it. It's a bit obvious that it would either be cheaper or you'd get a better player's pack. It doesn't make sense to just give that extra money that uses to go to prized anywhere else.

If not winning dissuaded people then all of those little kids that played in the same M:TG tournaments and pro-tour qualifiers I did who had no chance of winning wouldn't come back for every single tournament, but strangely enough they did. I played in many tournaments I knew I had no chance of winning. When I played club volleyball in jr high and high school we had no chance of winning prizes (I think I got a tee shirt for winning state) but we spent our own money traveling to tournaments. I played in band in high school and jr. high and there were several years where we won every competition we went to and it only cost me money. We had fund raisers and I even got a part time job to pay for travel expenses. Yet somehow if we don't offer $50 in discs to people who suck a specific amount then people won't be willing to play in tournaments. In college I played several seasons of intramural broom ball, volleyball and Ultimate but never had the chance to win more than a tee shirt. Strangely enough all of these organizations still exist and appear to be doing well despite the idea that they'll fail because amateurs who suck a specific amount (or not at all in some cases) can't win money/prizes.

It's not scientific or anything, but that's my personal experience with organized competition. Most amateurs don't compete for prizes and money, they play for fun. If that weren't true on some level then I wouldn't have had any of the experiences I've had with organized competition.
Heck, look at the popularity of 5K road races. You can drop $20+ to do something that you can do in your basement while watching TV just to get a t-shirt and maybe a trophy with a combined value of $6 and you get a thousand people signed up without too much trouble. Is disc golf so boring compared to running that you have to bribe people to do it?