View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by archmage View Post
Why have scrip for the better amateurs? IMO if you want money or something worth money, play Open. All amateurs should be fine with trophy only (and entrance fees that reflect this).
Personally, I'd be fine with this as well.

However the justification for script is - not everyone wants to be a "Pro" player. In disc golf lingo we often just call it "Open", but what it is in practicality is professional vs. amateur players - and they have different mentalities and purposes for playing the game.

I know for myself, I'm definitely not going to go to Open unless I can adopt a regular tournament schedule, i.e. prioritizing disc golf tournaments above other things in my life. For that reason I'll play AM1.

By law you're supposed to be reporting these winnings anyway if you're Open...but we all know how disc golfers are with laws they don't agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
The idea is that with all Am prize payout removed, that the prize payout would be replaced by either a player's pack equally distributed to everyone or more preferably by a cheaper entry fee.
^ This is well said. Using what I suggested, AM2 would be a $20-25 entry always. You play for the pack and the chance at a trophy with other Intermediate level players. If you're gonna gamble on script or money, you pay a bigger entry.

This would also stop tourneys from padding pro purses with AM money, which IMHO is a shady method of pumping your own tourney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
All of the evidence indicates that players do not play better nor worse regardless whether they are playing with a group of players better or worse. However, playing with better players may help you improve if you practice what you might have learned from playing with them.
Well said. Nice post.