View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
David...one of the points I think is getting missed is not all new player will be aware of the wide variety of courses in the area. As an example...I introduced my nephews to disc golf a couple of summers ago. One of them really enjoyed playing. His dad, my brother in law, decided he need to take his son to play disc golf.

He found the nearest course to wear they lived and played. Being when I introduced my nephew we were visiting Minnesota and my sister brought her kids to visit. I took all the kids to play. So now one of them takes an interest, goes back home and now his dad, who is new to the sport, doesn't know better and ends up at a course in a public park as a new player with no idea he is in way over his head.

There needs to be an option for new players who discover the sport at their park...that's why public park courses need options for new players.

This doesn't apply to Nevin. It is poorly promoted and barely visible to the public. There is little to do that draws in the disc golf demographic. Hornet's nest right down the road is easily visible to anyone visiting that park. Its is used more for parties, basketball, and baseball. People fish in the lake...

I find that the only people that really ask me about short tees for Nevin are out of towners. Sure many locals would play the course more with shorter pads, but they wouldnt be playing Nevin, so what is the point. Nevin was built long. Too often, longs are shoe horned in once a shorter course starts to wear in and bore the locals. Any of the proposed or discussed long holes out there would be in areas of longer transitions (like the new 11) Any play of the short course requires full traversing of the course. I could see shorter tees in areas where distance is at a premium... If you have water, canyon, or trouble carries, sure a shorter tee for the less skilled should be offered. There is none of that at Nevin.

Personally, and I know Stan feels the same way, I would like more people to experience Nevin. I, however, do not think it should be done at the expense of the beauty, difficulty, safety, or cleanlyness of the course.