View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I've been waiting for someone to explain why disc golf is so terrible compared to other activities that you have to bribe them to compete, but so far I've come up empty. Apparently running 13 miles is way more fun than playing disc golf because people will pay to do that by the hundreds with no chance of a positive ROI.
You'll have to keep waiting. "Bribery" is an inflammatory term. Everyone isn't getting paid to play. They're getting a players pack, which isn't uncommon in other amateur sports, including running. They're getting a chance to gamble the rest of their entry fee with the other competitors, in an organized fashion. And as a group, they're not getting paid---they're just playing for free, getting approximately their entry back in payouts.

The fact that non-payout events may have lower attendance is the result of Am payouts being the accepted norm. I wish it weren't so, but it is. It seems mostly players would rather gamble---pay a higher entry fee for a chance to win it back, plus some, than pay a lower entry fee without that chance.

That's the Ams, anyway. The Pros hope to make money, and flock to "cash added" events. But I'd hardly describe pro athletes in major sports as being "bribed to play" just because they earn money doing it.