View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
You'll have to keep waiting. "Bribery" is an inflammatory term.
But it's accurate even if it's only a chance at getting bribed. People don't need those extra payouts in any of the other activities any of us have mentioned, but they're all at least as popular as disc golf. Why is it that disc golfers need this extra money back but no one else does? What's fundamentally different about disc golf that makes people who play it need the chance for a payout in tournaments? No one can answer that, and my guess is becasue it's just not true. If you took away that extra payout for good I predict that there would be no long term negative effect on tournament participation. I agree that there's little chance of finding out whether or not I'm right, though.

Quote:
That's the Ams, anyway. The Pros hope to make money, and flock to "cash added" events. But I'd hardly describe pro athletes in major sports as being "bribed to play" just because they earn money doing it.
I'm only talking about AMs. It's obvious that pros get paid to play, but that's why they're pros. Am's don't get paid to play. That system has been proven many times over to work extremely well yet the PDGA won't adopt it.