View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum View Post
I do all sorts of plastics. Currently using liquid RIT, and it's old enough don't worry, and using just the dye, maybe slight acentone mixing if it's necessary. Haven't experimented much, but looking to imporve some things if I can.
The reason I was asking was that if you aren't using premium plastics it's hard to get the color to really pop. Also It takes more time to get colors to pop on champ type plastics compared to star type.

As for dye. There is nothing wrong with older rit. Including liquid rit. However the method you use makes a big difference. Dip dying, painting w/acetone, painting w/SC, etc. The dye, even the liquid rit needs to be mixed with something else to really get the dye to activate. If you are just using the dye straight from the bottle that is probably your problem. If you use acetone or alcohol you should get strong colors quickly. If you dip dye you need to go probably between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the plastic. Assuming that you are applying heat. Any other painting method you need much longer times. 2 hours plus.