View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but they are sort of the same(at least some of the time.) OAT is bad form causing some of that torque(snap) to be off the plane(axis.)

Or to put it another way. snap=good torque, OAT=bad torque.

But then again not all OAT is the same.

I don't know, just a thought.
I think you're getting it, but are having some difficult experessing it.
The difference between the two torques you mention is the axis about which they are acting.

Once you let go, the axis the disc rotates about it's center of mass. But prior to letting go, the axis the disc is rotating about at the edge of the disc (specifically the point at which you are holding it). The part of the disc furthest from your hand is moving faster than the part in your hand, which imparts the spin when you let go - because it can no longer rotate about a pivot that no longer exists. The greater that differential is (i.e. the faster you accelerate the disc through the snap) the more spin is imparted to the disc.

OAT is simply rotation about a different axis, caused by "rolling" your wrist as you throw.

Trying to describe them two dimensionally, to see the first axis, you would look downn on the disc as it's being thrown. Standing directly overhead, looking down at the point where the disc is being held - that line of sight would be the axis.

Standing behind a person throwing (RHBH to illustrate), looking toward the fairway: as they are releasing the disc, if they rotate their wrist with a palm up motion (even if it they don't rotate nearly until their palm is truly facing up) rotates the disc from the plane of motion it was pulled through prior to the release. The axis of rotation isn't through the disc - it's through your wrist as you rotate (or twist) the disc out of the plane you started it on. The axis of rotation changes pepedning on wher your arm is in yout motion, but basically, along your forearm.

I believe it's called it "Off Axis" because its a torque that isn't on the axis you want it to act on (i.e. the pivot point whereyou hold the disc). That's the axis you where you want to apply torque - because it will propel the outer edge of the disc fwd, inducing spin.

Torqing the disc about your forearm is undesireable because it induces a change in the angle the disc is released at, and if severe, can cause the disc to 'turn and burn' - This commonly happens when really trying to muscle a disc.

I hope that helps.