View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
I have a short story which completely identifies with this thread.

I played a round with a guy I've met a couple times at the local course. He throws forehand, always with some monsterously overstable disc (primary driver is a NukeOS) on some big flex shot which looks like it'll burn into the ground until it flips around. On the first hole, I throw a Diamond I'd just gotten and turned it way over. I mentioned the turnover to him and he told me, and I quote, "You need more overstable ****!". I just said I don't want to do that, I want to make the Diamond work for me.

By around hole 5, he's beating me (his even to my +3) and it's driving me crazy. His putting is floppy and terrible, every shot is a flex forehand which has no right to fly well. He's telling me tales of how his best round is -6 and the number of aces he's hit on each hole as we reach it. The best I've ever scored is -1 on this course, and I've only shot even or better two or three times total. He's a nice guy, I don't think he was really bragging per se, but I hate that I'm losing to him.

Then...he stops missing trees. His floppy putts no longer stumble their way into the basket. I finished +5 (which is around my average) and he stopped counting after reaching +12. That might have been one of the most satisfying rounds I've ever played.