View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
I have a short story which completely identifies with this thread.

I played a round with a guy I've met a couple times at the local course. He throws forehand, always with some monsterously overstable disc (primary driver is a NukeOS) on some big flex shot which looks like it'll burn into the ground until it flips around. On the first hole, I throw a Diamond I'd just gotten and turned it way over. I mentioned the turnover to him and he told me, and I quote, "You need more overstable ****!". I just said I don't want to do that, I want to make the Diamond work for me.

By around hole 5, he's beating me (his even to my +3) and it's driving me crazy. His putting is floppy and terrible, every shot is a flex forehand which has no right to fly well. He's telling me tales of how his best round is -6 and the number of aces he's hit on each hole as we reach it. The best I've ever scored is -1 on this course, and I've only shot even or better two or three times total. He's a nice guy, I don't think he was really bragging per se, but I hate that I'm losing to him.

Then...he stops missing trees. His floppy putts no longer stumble their way into the basket. I finished +5 (which is around my average) and he stopped counting after reaching +12. That might have been one of the most satisfying rounds I've ever played.
I've got a buddy who plays exactly like this. Only he is way nicer and more humble. He's even asked me for some putting tips because he's realized that putting makes or breaks you. Different strokes for different folks...