View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
And putt within a range you will make 90%. Right before a tournament isn't the time to improve your skills, but a time to make sure they are as tight as possible. Your mental game will strengthen much more when you make 9/10 from 25' more than when you make 3/10 from 40'.
This is very true. I like to practice putt before a tourney even closer than that. maybe end with a few from 25 -40 but for the 5 minutes I will practice putting I try to keep it from 15-20 where like you said, I will make 95% and get the good feelings going.

Also I have found when I putt great in tourneys there is always a certain detachment to it, due to this I find it the opposite of practicing putting (by the very act of practicing you are caring about it). the trick is to cultivate that aloofness which lets your ego get out of the way , while simultaneously maintains the focus in order to be meticulous and accurate. It's a fine ballence but it is certainly aided by being patienhave joking oneself, and not being overly distracted with a certain score, or player, or mistake.