View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 86
Couple things to add here. Moving from Atlanta, GA to Austin, TX I've noticed that players are much more interested in playing for money out here. As someone who is an amateur and will always be an amateur, that really turned me off of league play. It seems like the only reason some people play is to try and hit the $500 ace pot, which to me is against the spirit of the game. I don't see weekend golf as a source of income, and I don't think any other amateur player should either. If I'm playing to see if I can beat you and the course, and you are playing for gas money to put in your car, then we don't need to be playing in the same event.

None of my most enjoyable rounds have had money on the line. I've played over a dozen college tournaments with no cash prizes, usually just a trophy or medals for the top team, and I wouldn't prefer them any other way. When I pay entry fees in regular tournaments, I view that as a sunk cost paying for the privilege of playing in an organized competition against other players. If I win anything I consider it a bonus, because I'm not counting on getting anything back. I'm aware that I'm part of a minority, but that doesn't mean players like me don't exist.