View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
You understand what OAT is, but you don't understand how large its effects are. Pretty much anyone who's ever accidentally turned over a disc that isn't understable has shown that you can impart enough OAT on a disc to drastically change it's flight path. Anyone who's worked to eliminate their OAT can show you how they can throw a putter on a hyzer and get it to keep it's angle or throw it on a hyzer and get it to turn and crash into the ground.
Good to know I understand correctly......seriously: when I posted this I had a nagging feeling OAT might be referring more to the motion of the arm in the pull-through that the actual imparting of torque onto the disc on release.

That said, accidentally turning a disc over has almost everything to do with rolling the wrist (or leaning back or whatever it takes) to get the plane of the disc into an anhyzer position. It has almost nothing to do with rotational velocity on the disc around the front-to-back axis ("roll" in the airplane vernacular).

One of the main reasons OAT has very limited affect (other than the vastly lower proportional speed to its On-Axis velocity and forward velocity), is the gyroscopic effect of a spinning disc....especially one weighted mostly on the perimeter. If you have ever taken a bicycle wheel, held it by the axle and spun it, you will notice that it really resists any OAT (including any wobble induced onto it).