View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I wish I had become a aeronautical engineer rather than electrical....or had the passion to learn like I did back in the day. I admittedly have a ton to learn if I wanted to about aerodynamics (and some aspects physics too).....but I do know this: there a variety of forces acting on a disc as it flys....and those forces are are changing on their own and in relation to each other as the velocity, rotation speeds, smoothness of the material, density of the air, angles, etc change. Very complex and fascinating!
FWIW, I'm an EE as well.

Quote:
This sounds convincing, but I would like to see video evidence of this. I suspect that possibly what is happening is their pull through is a hyzer, but their release is actually anyhzer.....and little had to do with actual rotation of the disc along its front-to-back axis. Again, I am open to being wrong......I am a total neophyte as a student of throwing mechanics.
Go to any busy course and find a guy throwng a super fast disc 250'. It shouldn't be hard to do. As him to throw a putter on a hyzer full power. You'll get to witness it first hand. People are so adamant this is true because it's so common and so many of use have dealt with it.

Quote:
But, assuming the that flight plates are the same weight, wouldn't a narrow rim disc have more angular momentum since the rim weight is concentrated closer to the edge of the disc (a smaller cross-section triangle)?

I suspect the wider rims provide more stability due to the aerodynamics of a wider wing.
You'd have to integrate it out to see for sure, but every observation I've had regarding discs and every conversation I've had with those that know more than me about aerodynamics has told me that faster discs are more gyroscopic. Just spinning the discs on your finger and tapping the edge will give evidence either way. My guess is that little bit of weight slightly farther out won't compensate for the rim being ~2.5 times wider. It's no where near 2.5 times as far away from the center. It's more like 1.3 times as far away. We know there's more overall mass in the rim because it's so difficult for them to make wide rimmed discs light weight in certain plastics (hence the need for Blizzard discs), so we have considerably more mass that's only slightly inward from the rim.

Quote:
I don't know. I am pretty sure that the aerodynamics have a lot to do with it.
What evidence do you have for that hypothesis? It sounds like you are just sick of people talking about OAT and are looking for a reason to not listen to them. That's not exactly a very scientific way to look at it especially when the person who probably has the most knowledge of anyone on the planet regarding throwing technique disagrees with you.