Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
FWIW, I'm an EE as well.
Cool.....you can't spell beer with an a double E! (or geek in the case of this thread)

Quote:
Go to any busy course and find a guy throwng a super fast disc 250'. It shouldn't be hard to do. As him to throw a putter on a hyzer full power. You'll get to witness it first hand. People are so adamant this is true because it's so common and so many of use have dealt with it.
I hear you....and I would like to see slo mo video before accepting this common phenomenon resulting from the disc rotating on the front-to-back axis due to momentum imparted on it by the thrower rather than it resulting simply the angle of release.

Quote:
You'd have to integrate it out to see for sure, but every observation I've had regarding discs and every conversation I've had with those that know more than me about aerodynamics has told me that faster discs are more gyroscopic. Just spinning the discs on your finger and tapping the edge will give evidence either way. My guess is that little bit of weight slightly farther out won't compensate for the rim being ~2.5 times wider. It's no where near 2.5 times as far away from the center. It's more like 1.3 times as far away. We know there's more overall mass in the rim because it's so difficult for them to make wide rimmed discs light weight in certain plastics (hence the need for Blizzard discs), so we have considerably more mass that's only slightly inward from the rim.
Yeah....I think it has to do a lot with the thickness/density of the flight plate as to where the moment of angular interia is. A very thin flight plate needs very strong material for any sort of durability. My caveat earlier ("assuming the same flight plate") covered my butt.

Quote:
What evidence do you have for that hypothesis? It sounds like you are just sick of people talking about OAT and are looking for a reason to not listen to them. That's not exactly a very scientific way to look at it especially when the person who probably has the most knowledge of anyone on the planet regarding throwing technique disagrees with you.
My evidence is watching the precession of a spinning top. It keeps "precessioning" where as a disc flying through the air stops/stabilizes. My only explanation for the is the aerodynamic effect on the disc.

Here's an interesting thought: If a disc kept on "precessioning" (due to OAT) and aerodynamics didn't dampen it (as I think you are suggesting), it would go into an anhyzer angle (right side pointing down), and as it "precessioned" the nose would be up (and the disc would rise and/or stall for a while), and then it would hyzer (so good so far in what we observe).....but then it would go nose down and dive, and then it would go back into anhyzer angle, nose up, hyzer....etc. And, if the OAT put it into a hyzer, eventually it would go nose up, then anny, etc.