View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Yeah....I think it has to do a lot with the thickness/density of the flight plate as to where the moment of angular interia is. A very thin flight plate needs very strong material for any sort of durability. My caveat earlier ("assuming the same flight plate") covered my butt.

My evidence is watching the precession of a spinning top. It keeps "precessioning" where as a disc flying through the air stops/stabilizes. My only explanation for the is the aerodynamic effect on the disc.

Here's an interesting thought: If a disc kept on "precessioning" (due to OAT) and aerodynamics didn't dampen it (as I think you are suggesting), it would go into an anhyzer angle (right side pointing down), and as it "precessioned" the nose would be up (and the disc would rise and/or stall for a while), and then it would hyzer (so good so far in what we observe).....but then it would go nose down and dive, and then it would go back into anhyzer angle, nose up, hyzer....etc. And, if the OAT put it into a hyzer, eventually it would go nose up, then anny, etc.
I've talked about the first part in another thread here letter to three putt I think.

Regarding the second part, if we were throwing in a vacuum the disc would flip end over end.