View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post
...The first mini I played in, other players seemed reluctant to be around me. (one of the guys in my group confided that they probably thought I was a cop)...
At one of the weekly doubles around here, I actually had someone ask me if I was a cop. Mind you, he had a joint in his hand. I asked him "If I was, wouldn't it be better to keep your illegals hidden until after I answer the question?" Dumbass!

Hang in there. It'll get better. If you're looking for help improving, I'd look for a handicap league in your area. The one in my area is great because it allows you to compete against everyone, not just who's at your same skill level. It's also more casual so you won't have to worry so much about people keeping time on your putts, and people will help you learn the rules (and help you improve) instead of chiding you for not knowing them.

For the record, you will face wind a lot while on the course. Handling it off the tee and during putts is a skill you will have to develop if you want to play competitively on any level unfortunately. Once you learn it, you'll start enjoying it though. It's fun draining putts while others are being blown around all over the course!