View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post

In conclusion, the percentage of players I've run into seem to be about 25% guys who just want to drink and/or smoke pot, 30% guys who seem to be taking everything a little too seriously and are kind of douchebags, 20% casual players or newbs throwing Grooves on 150' holes, 24% good guys about on my level that seem like good guys I'd enjoy spending an afternoon with, 1% women.

Sounds about right.

I'd suggest finding some random draw doubles to get into. You'll get paired with a variety of people to play with, and you'll see better players and be able to ask them questions. You'll also see different lines on holes you're familiar with, different throwing styles that might end up becoming part of your game, and since it's doubles, it should be much more relaxed and fun for everyone anyway.

Everyone is different, but you'll find the people that are more receptive to offering help eventually. I know recently some people in my former club ran an instructional clinic. They were willing to help answer questions, critique form, and offer advice. Keep your eyes peeled for things like this, and remember, it NEVER hurts to ask. If you see someone you think you could learn from, find a way to spend some time in the field with them, or throw a round with them. Might take a little bribery, but you gotta break the ice somehow, in disc golf as well as everything else in life.

Good luck, and stay thirsty my friend.