View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
As far as the local pros taking things too seriously; you have to remember that most of us invest a lot of time and energy into our game. Many of us treat it like a second job. It's not an excuse to be an a-hole to anyone, but try to keep that in mind. Not a lot of people have that uber-competitive spirit, so I can see that turning some people off. These types exist in all sports, though.
Yeah I totally understand being super competitive and working on your game. I throw or play a round pretty much every day, and that's why I'm here so much.

It's not the competitiveness that turns me off, it's the exclusion and/or the rudeness.

It's the same way with the pot guys. I don't necessarily mind that you're smoking on the course, but I do think it's unfortunate that it means that people feel like they have to hide from unknown players for fear of being narced on. (not to mention the fact that outsiders are going to have a hard time taking a sport seriously that such a significant portion of the population likes to do it while under the influence and/or intoxicated... like darts or bowling)

I guess this was more of a rambling commentary about the pluses and minuses of the culture of the sport. It's a great sport, but I think some of these issues are probably barriers to growing the sport even further.

Personally it's not going to deter me, but I do think it's a little disappointing.