View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
Ok, this may be a slight shift from the topic, but what *really* is the function of these kinds of gimmicks? Yes, they make a hole tougher.. but they also make a hole more random. If the goal is to produce a high(er) correlation coefficient between player rating and round score, these types of artificial difficulty-increasing tourney rules in my experience do just the opposite. Even very high-rated players can occasionally get bit, and lower-skilled players may get lucky and come through totally unscathed while their equally-rated compatriots get 10's.
Honestly it wouldn't have been such a crazy hole under normal weather conditions. My shot was basically touching the edge but some kid picked it up and we had to rule it OB. Like I said I didn't consider the "alternate" layup route until I had no choice (meaning I didn't have another disc to throw over the water).

So it would have been kinda cool, but I think it should have been setup that way for ADVANCED players only if at all. The other divisions had to struggle with the ruling.

If it weren't for this ruling we may have made the cut. Some people think it's gimmicky. Oh well, I know how to do it next time.