View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post

If I have time, I will make a quick youtube video explaining my take on BionicRib's explanation.....and why I still think OAT is a misdiagnosis of what it going on: I still do not think the Torque of OAT carries into the flight....rather it is the motion of the levers (all the moving body parts) leading up to the release that really matters.

At the end of the day, I believe that the result of OAT in the planes of the levers have the same effect on the flight as people claiming tourque imparted on the disc has.....so like BionicRib adeptly says: I am now "able to coexist with the word OAT."
The Torque doesn't carry into the flight. After the disc has left your hand, it's all just momentum conservation. But the torque provides the initial condition and in that sense it propogates into the flight.

If you assume a prescribed throw to be the nominal throw, you can imagine that small pertubations in the initial conditions (linear speed, rpms, hyzer/anhyzer angle, nose up/down, and OAT) will result in changes in the flight path. The flight path varies pretty smoothly and predictably with most of these parameters but OAT can be a little less intuitive.

Orient yourself in the plane of the disc. The axis of the disc is normal to the plane and through the center of the disc. Forces in the plane result in torques about this axis (or any other axis normal to the plane). An earlier post seemed to contradict this by talking about the location of the axis in the plane being important. Off-axis-torque is cause by forces normal to the plane that do not act through the center of mass of the disc. This is energy that you're expending that is neither causing the disc to spin in its intended plane nor propel it towards its intended destination. It also causes the characteristic wobbling which as you may imagine can seriously effect your aerodynamics if it isn't quickly damped out.

Sometimes the pertubations are small and get damped out (wobble that goes away). Sometimes they don't (wobble that causes turn-and-burn).