View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
p.s. I don't understand why the short peninsula is OB.
Lots of good questions about Creekside #18, including why is the peninsula OB, is an OB peninsula like a mandatory, and why did we implement the OB ruling we did?

For starters, the main reason it's OB is because otherwise a smart way to play the hole would be to throw two 150' pitch shots with no trees involved. That's not a golf hole, in my opinion. Yes, the landing area and green are a little tricky, but not tricky enough to justify that distance. Anyone who wants to lay up can throw 200' to the short tee (with water danger and trees to negotiate), and then 200' or more to the pin. Much more interesting and challenging.

And, of course, anyone playing a casual round at Selah can pitch out to the peninsula if he or she wants to -- there won't be any OB police to bother you.

I did consider moving the tee in order to make the peninsula less attractive, but you lose the visual appeal of having the tee by the water, and one of two other things happens: if you keep the distance to the pin, the red tee gets closer, or if you keep the distance to the red tee, the pin gets too far away. Planting trees on the peninsula would have made the drive to the pin too hard.

How does this OB compare to a mando? I do always try to avoid mandos (and OB's), but I don't have a problem with a common sense mando that doesn't feel restrictive and that very few people will ever miss. In this particular case, I'm OK with the OB because a) I don't imagine a lot of people saying "This really bothers me, because I really wanted to throw two 150' pitch shots," and b) it's better than the alternatives I described above.

As for the tournament rule that all OB drives must re-tee, there are good arguments on both sides. One often-overlooked reason is that any almost shot down by the water is invisible from the tee. It would take at least one nimble and well-trained spotter to see which drives hit in-bounds and where they went out. Ditto for drives that were over in-bounds but never hit land. It's almost impossible for players to make an accurate call. Imagine a shot that goes about 300' and fades into the water. There's no way players could tell if it was ever over land or not.

Another reason, obviously, is to add to the strategy of the hole and make the shot to the red tee more of an option. As bad as the weather was, a lot of people only went for the pin because they had a partner to play safe. As several people pointed out, good weather would have made the decision-making process a whole lot different.