View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I started with a friend who has (very annoyingly) always been a bit better than me, and we've improved at the same rate. When we joined the local league, it was very much a "your game is your problem" feel. With most of the players being tournament/competitive players, this makes a certain amount of sense.

One does well not asking someone to teach them, but taking the initiative to actively learn. You get good answers from other players if you ask "Why did you pick that line?" or "What disc did you throw?" Most players love to talk about their own game, and are loathe to talk about your game.

I'm coming on my 3rd year of playing in leagues and such and it seems only now that I'm generally recognized and tolerated. You never know who's going to come for a few weeks and never be seen again, or who's going to stick around and improve and get more involved. I remember my first league round I was thinking, "Great, now I'm one of the jerks with a pile of discs who comes out and clogs up the course every Wednesday." I actually hated my first year of leagues. It was very frustrating. There was (not that there isn't still) a lot I needed to learn and no way to learn but by keeping at it. A lot of the pro advice was wasted on me because I had such bad habits that I had to come to terms with on my own, I heard what they were saying, but I didn't understand really what it meant. Now I love going out with those guys and picking up things just by watching. Dudes who I might not think of much on a personal level for any number of reasons, and probably don't think much of me, but there's still a mutual respect there thanks to DG.