View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

I've been playing for 2.5 years, haven't really socialized very much outside a few buddies, and have not done a single organized event yet. But when I do, I'm going to start with the local Doubles. At my home course, Delaveaga DGC in Santa Cruz, CA, the weekly doubles pairs Pro level players with amateurs/casuals. So my buddy has ended up with ~1000 rated players and learned a bunch just watching them play. If you are respectful, and follow the Pros advice to help get the best score, like laying up on putts, and make up for the rare bad shot they will make, they will be very open to help you back. The other thing that helps is getting involved in the local course maintenance and politics. They have "fix up the course days" at Dela. Do enough heavy lifting at those and you will have local friends for sure.

Every DG scene will be different, and everyone you meet will be different. Personally, I only regretted playing with someone else once, and they just had a crazy motor mouth - wouldn't shut up.
Smoking Pot doesn't bother me, but in Santa Cruz, it is like taking sugar in your coffee to Smoke Pot. Some people do, some people don't, most people couldn't care less. I'm sure in Texas you can't be so open about it - even in the liberal minded anomaly that is Austin, Texas. Don't wear a Polo shirt to play IMO.

Anyway, I'm sure you will find a niche and some better players to run with, but don't abandon the folks you got into the game in the first place!