Thread: Sugaree
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 100
Jason,Mark,Walter
Thanks so much guys for the kind offers, but getting bailed out is not my style.
I never expected to make money with a private course, but after 5 years I did expect to generate enough cash to at least cover the annual maintenance, but it did not happen. We are actually get less traffic than last year.
Keeping the course maintained is weed-eating thirty acres three times during the summer since none of it can be mowed. For one person, by the time you finish the last of 25 holes, it's time to start again on the first hole. I could do it when my kids were around to cover me on the huge summertime chore of shearing and shaping 25,000 Christmas trees, but now that they have moved on to bigger and better things, it is apparent that I cannot handle both tasks.
As we speak I am still trying to finish last years shearing and the buds have already broken...not good.
The other part of the problem is that I am not comfortable with having people on the course when it is wet or windy, but I often cave in to requests to people who drive in and want to play in marginal conditions, especially if they are on a tightly schedule roadtrip. For those of you who have played the course, you know that the things that make Sugaree unique also make it a liability concern.
So, I'm shutting it down to try and get my tree farm back where it needs to be and get ready for an on-site wedding.

Last edited by Mando; 05-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.