View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobwilson View Post
I absolutely agree with you that consistency is an issue, but I have a hard time seeing how the PDGA can actively enforce this. The PDGA does not have the resources to set up shop as QA/QC within disc manufacturers.

I do like the idea of random spot checking. The PDGA can go to a retailer, randomly grab a stack of new discs and put them through the standard testing (flex, weight, etc.). Again though, this requires resources. I've worked in a laboratory environment for 10+ years. If a sanctioning body is going to levee some kind of sanctions against an equipment manufacturer, it will have to set up Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), internal QA/QC and be subject to audits.

I believe the importance of technical specifications must be put in the hands of tournament directors, but I also understand the headache this would create for tournament directors.

I don't believe there is a correct answer to your question. I believe it is something that must be addressed, but it is going to take valuable resources to come up with any kind of viable solution.
You mention sanctions against manufacturers. Do you think that any of the manufacturers would be willing to pay the PDGA or do an expensive recall of a bunch of discs for being just slightly out of spec? MY guess is that those manufacturers would simply stop seeking PDGA approval and continue making their money off all the casual disc golfers who couldn't care less about that approval. The PDGA has absolutely no authority over manufacturers if it comes down to something like that, and taking a punitive approach IMO would be the wrong way to go.