View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
To me, this is the one absolutely unacceptable answer to this question. Enforcement of equipment standards absolutely *cannot* end up entirely in the hands of tournament directors, without the equipment standards being essentially dropped entirely. TD's simply do not have the time or resources to verify the material standards for every disc in every players' bag. Right now, as I've mentioned before, it is *solely* the culture of disc golf that has prevented every player at every event questioning the legality every disc in every players' bag. In the rulebook, it is entirely within the rights/responsibilities of players to do this, and entirely within the rights/responsibilities of the TD to enforce. This needs to change, one way or another.

Edit: I like essentially everything else you've had to say, but this one issue may be a deal-breaker for me.
I agree with you. I didn't do a great job of communicating what I was trying to say. I should have said "enforcement" rather than "importance".

As I said, making tournament directors wear another hat is a bad idea. We already have enough on our plates.

It is our responsibility though to enforce the rules, but not to necessarily seek out rulebreakers. This lies in the hands of the players.

The real question: How can a culture be created where players are encouraged to be adhere and enforce rules? This goes well beyond technical standards as well.