View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
the only point for the runup is the turning of the hips and the easier reachback. The speed added is neglectable. It's all about bringing your hips and back and shoulders into the throw.

As sidewinder said, it adds around 15% distance.
This was my impression, having read Blake and Bradley and Dan Beato. For me, it wouldn't be worth it for that amount of distance alone, but how about timing? I feel like I need some sort of trigger, because when I turn my back and reach back with the disc, I hold that position for a second and sometimes I feel like I get stuck. Like I don't know which body part to move first, and that's when the throw goes awry. Usually it starts to happen about midway through a round, when I've been making several throws. Like when you say a word too many times and it starts to sound funny.. that's how it feels. I've tried focusing on my heel, and starting the throw from bringing my right heel down. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I'll probably work on a runup at some point just out of curiosity, since like 95% of pros do it. But I've been thinking that maybe throwing without moving my feet at all was the wrong way to go.. making it harder on myself. I do believe based on the reading I've done, and the feeling of some throws where everything comes together that it's possible to get distance around 400' without moving my feet, but maybe it's not the easiest way.

Again, I haven't been playing that long, so it may just be a muscle memory thing that hasn't developed yet. But it's fairly frustrating and I'd like to get it fixed, haha.