View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I don't know why you can't imagine it. Just go back and look at all the posts by the self proclaimed hard asses in this thread. The rule, as written, allows no excuses.
As a self-proclaimed hard-ass TD (and probably as pedantic as they come), I would NEVER give an 888 to a player who had a valid excuse for leaving a tournament. Nor would I have any qualms at all regarding changing an initial 888 to a 999 if a reasonable explanation was given (your example of a car accident between rounds would most definitely fall in the category of a reasonable explanation). The rule as described in the oft-quoted article that announced it has two very specific uses which I don't really think leave much room for interpretation or abuse: manipulating a rating or leaving a tournament with no notice. It doesn't really leave a TD much room to mess with players without the TD looking like a jackass (and the PDGA is bound to side with the player in such a situation).

Frankly, having read a lot of your posts at a couple forums, you come off as extremely paranoid about TDs and how unscrupulous they are. I get the impression that no matter how rules are written or re-written, you're never going to get past your belief that TDs are out to get you/others and will just find a new way to abuse the players with any newly re-written rules.