View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 11:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
BraveThrower and Disc Fiend pretty much hit my game on the head.
Most of the courses around here are pretty well wooded. I try to put my tee shots on a line that will give me the least trouble and if I hit the shot right, it'll make it past the next obstacle as well. I'm usually happy if I have a clean look at deuce, even if it's from well outside the circle. But on anything well over 300' I pretty much resign myself to a 3, so I might even throttle down off the tee and play for placement so my upshot is fairly easy, which leads to an easier putt for par. I really don't care if I have a 80' upshot or a 110' upshot. Not worth another 30' off the tee if it means I'm more likely to get into trouble.

But what tu-f-o said holds true as well:
1) It depends on the hole. Even on some pretty well wooded holes, I have what I feel are very realistic expectations of carding a two, and I'm trying to put my tee shot close enough for a gimme. Given my distance limitations, those are the birdie opportunities that are going to arise for me.
2) I tend to play safer in tournies, particularly with respect to running at the pin on long putts with rollaway potential or where there's trouble behind the pin... Lay-up and take what I can.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-22-2013 at 11:56 PM.