View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
i like to try new things during casual rounds and stick with it during my leagues. practicing how i play and playing how i practice is exactly what i do, though lately i've been chickening out on my putts and hitting the basket instead of chains.

i know it seems silly; haven't been in a real tournament but anytime i'm up against other people in an event i go into game-time mode. my money is on the line; doesn't matter how much, and there is money to be taken from other people.

i focus on making every single shot i know i can make. of course i screw up, but if i KNOW that i can't make it, i don't go for it. i'll find another way to put myself in an advantageous position, and then i'll go practice the shot that would have been better. i've been practicing rollers for my approach shots lately and it has seriously paid off.

case in point, had a good drive at a local league on sunday. made it to within 80 feet of the pin; so close, but so far - bunch of tree trunks in my way and i don't trust myself to try to weave in between them because even though the drive was good, i'm on the edge of the ****. we're in the woods, and i don't want to do something stupid.

so i lay down a roller on the ground and forget about it. curled right behind the pin. easy par. and that's the nice thing about little OH rollers - they're so easy to throw with both hands to get around stuff and make up strokes.

and i'm always playing against other people, never my own score. other people and the course itself. if you're playing against yourself, but you're not the top of your field, what good is it? that's just my own take. i will, however, play round after round until i score to my satisfaction if i am not throwing well. competition helps get me in focus. i expect par; i play for birdies even though i may not be that great yet. playing smart isn't always playing it safe.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 09-24-2013 at 11:01 PM.