View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ultimate Everything

Growing up, a Frisbee was a cheap way to play every sport. We played Frisbee golf, Frisbee football, Frisbee basketball, Frisbee soccer and Frisbee baseball. Much like Ultimate in all these games you were not allowed to move while holding the Frisbee. In Frisbee basketball, the best way to hit a layup was edge on using the backboard. But guys would hit shots from center court and we would shoot free throws as well. In Frisbee baseball, the pitcher would glide it in and you had to catch and throw in one continuous 270-degree spin. Admittedly the baseball wasn't too successful and we had to institute a rule that anything that didn't get out of the infield in the air was a foul. Frisbee soccer we played either on lacrosse goals or if we had to use real soccer goals, then we used an Aerobie.
When I hit college, I started playing Ultimate: first in intramurals at UWisc-Madison and later in city/county leagues and at work. I played in a DC league and found it was way too serious (assigned roles and called plays and timeouts to discuss strategy). I preferred the freestyle of intramurals and company leagues where there were no breaks and the trash talking was good spirited and we all went out afterward. Never won a city/county league so I don't know what the prizes were. For company and intramurals, it was T shirts.