View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Nice work there, fantom! Cool images. Your contest entries were awesome.

Congrats again to everyone who entered this year. There were a lot of great discs.
I was going to share my entry here, but photobucket seems to be acting screwy for me right now. For anyone who hadn't guessed, my entry was Raven's Roost. The disc is a white 175 Star Katana.
It is all hand painted with no vinyl stencil used for outlines, but I did use some clear contact paper to mask the main subjects while I did the background. I started with a light grey outline of lots of acetone and a little black idye 'sketched' on with a bamboo skewer. Once it was laid out I covered the disc in contact paper and cut out the sky. Orange is a mix of rit tangerine, lemon yellow and some idye red mixed with acetone and applied with an airbrush. Next I remasked the sky and exposed the bottom half. That is a mix of idye blue and red plus some black with acetone done mostly with a brush and cotton balls. I then unmasked the skull and raven and sharpened outlines with a little stronger mix of black (paint brushes and skewers). A little toning of the skull with some yellow/tan was followed by various shades of light blue throughout the raven. Grey shading on both followed by all the brushwork detailing that went into the wings.
It really does look better in person (for now). I'm pleased with how it came out and now am wishing I would have done it on GL rather than star plastic so the image would stay crisp for a few extra months before the inevitable blur.
For now the disc remains in the freezer to slow the process. I don't throw katanas so it is available for sale or trade.
Glad to be part of this awesome contest/site/addiction/hobby. Learned all I know here and hope that I'm able to teach a little along the way as well.