View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfer25 View Post
So, I am a college baseball player and a disc golfer. I tore my labrum pitching and had surgery on July 12th. I have begun to start lightly tossing and started a baseball throwing program and have been following my protocol to a T. But I realized that there is no protocol on how to get back into disc golf. I was a fairly competitive intermediate player before my surgery and threw forehand 98% of the time. Does anybody have any experience in coming back from labrum and rotator cuff surgery and getting back into disc golf?
I do---from a torn labrum.

But I don't know how helpful it will be. First of all, it seems torn labrums vary greatly in severity and recovery times. Secondly, I was twice your age.

I tore mine at age 44---11 years ago---probably the fault of baseball, which I'd coached for decades. There's no pitch count on throwing batting practice, and I figured I was throwing 1000 pitches a week. Anyway, I was in a sling for 3 weeks, didn't throw a disc at all for 4 months, didn't throw full speed for 7. Eventually I was back to my same ole' mediocre self. My brother had surgery for torn labrum, and was throwing baseballs 10 days later. Go figure.

Here's an act of faith in this story. While my arm was still in a sling from the surgery, my brother and I bought some land with the plans to build a private disc golf course. That's faith in a surgeon.