View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Probably should keep in mind that it's only a half-hour program. Can't really do a hole-by-hole, shot-by-shot detailed show in a half-hour.

As has been said, the show's not targeted at the hardcore disc golfers. It's intended for the masses, both the uninitiated and the casual chucker types...got to make it palatable for them since they're not likely to want to spend 3 hours watching a sport they've either never heard of or know very little about. They need a story to follow. They need a reason to watch. Besides, the truly hardcore "fans" are the ones that have already watched the live online feed or the dozen other highlight videos on Youtube that are available long before this show is going to air.

As an analogy, I stumbled on the US Racquetball Championships on cable the other day (Tennis Channel). I don't know much about racquetball but I stopped and watched for five minutes because, hey, it's a relatively obscure sport that isn't on TV much and I had nothing better to do at the time.

It wasn't a highlight show, it was the full shot-by-shot match (actually it was the first of two semi-finals, to be followed by the championship match). It was what I imagine some folks here would be looking for in a TV broadcast of disc golf. Each point of the match was shown...it felt like a live broadcast even though it was clearly taped and not aired live (it was 8am or something when I watched it).

I lasted about 10 minutes before I gave it up. I was bored, I couldn't really follow the ball, and the announcers (3 of them) were stumbling over each other and failing to finish any of their descriptions because they couldn't get it out fast enough to finish before the next point was contested. Since this was taped and scheduled for a couple hours, I was surprised that it wasn't edited at least a little so the announcers could make cogent points about the match (or show replays) and/or explain what was going on to the unfamiliar (like me).

I imagine that what I was experiencing was what a person unfamiliar with disc golf would experience watching live or pseudo-live coverage of disc golf. Maybe their curiosity is peaked enough to tune in for a couple minutes, and they're mildly impressed by the discs flying (like I was by the speed at which the ball was being rocketed around the court) but I can't imagine they'd be compelled to stick with it for very long.

I think a hardcore racquetball fan, someone who at least are familiar with the players' names if not their games, would have been enjoying the show. As someone who's never played and really only ever seen the game briefly in movies, I didn't.