View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
This is tricky given the various lines that may be taken. IMO, the best way would be to measure it point to point - but based on intended landing zones.

Par 3:
- Straight line from the tee to basket.

Par 4+:
- Straight line from tee to intended landing zone + straight line from landing zone to Tee (insert another LZ if 5+, etc).

For the Par 3 my logic is straight line is the easiest to understand and translate from course to course (or fieldwork to course). Here are some scenarios (all 300' from tee to pin):
- If it is wide open - it is just like field work. Pick your shot that you know hits 300.
- If it is a dogleg - pick your shot that shapes the dogleg (or goes over it) and hits 300. Just like ranging fieldwork - I want a big (hyzer/anny/etc) that lands at 300.

For the Par 4+ my logic is that I break these down into multiple shots. I need to hit a 300' drive to hit the first landing zone. Then I need a 300' approach shot. Ok. That is a 600' hole to me.
In ball golf they measure from the tee down the center of the fairway point to point if needed on a dogleg. Not sure if there is a standard on DG courses, probably whoever designed the course chose his own way. Has anyone ever played a course that had distance markers in the fairway? That is one aspect of ball golf I miss.