View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Played in my challenge yesterday. I got there early to hopefully get a decent color selection and had luck for 2/3. A nice pink Shield. A reddish/orange thief. And....a green claymore. With the pick of the lot a slightly bright green claymore was all I could snag. Still better than the dark green swirly (looked awesome) almost camo greens most people were stuck with.

As for the discs -

Thief: I threw this most of the time off the tee and it took a while for me to get into the groove of this, but once I did I was liking it. Not sure if it'll make the bag but it is close enough that I'll be giving it some more time to decide. I'd say the given numbers of 8/6/-1/2 were pretty accurate. Lots of newer players were having a hard time if they couldn't get it up to speed. Some big arms were bombing it on hyzer flips and pretty s curves. I wasn't a huge fan of the plastic. In the afternoon it was scorching and the plastic was very soft and grippy - and I loved it here. The problem was in the morning where it was picking up some dew. With any moisture at all on the disc it was fairly slick.

Claymore: This disc actually didn't get a ton of play from me but it was mostly because it is far from what I am used to throwing for a midrange and a little bit due to the course we played which didn't leave many longer approaches. I found myself preferring to toss the shield for approaches as it is more similar to discs I am familiar with. I am going to keep messing around with this one in fieldwork to see if I really like it or not. It is quite understable and I had to throw it on a hyzerflip to get it straight...but one I did notice is how very little fade this disc has. It just wants to ride your thrown line right into the ground. For the plastic - very similar to the thief. Very soft & grippy when hot....but this one was horrid when at all wet (worse than the thief). I had quite a few errant throws with this one when warming up with dew on the ground.

Shield: I love the plastic. Very grippy even when wet. I really wasn't a fan of putting with this disc as it has much more fade than I am used to (nova) so it won't be used for that purpose. I did like the feel in hand and had some really good approaches with it. I had been wanting another putter with some more fade as my Novas don't like to fade or hold a hyzer line....both of which the shield did very well. I have already added this to the bag for those approaches where I need to either hold a hyzer line or want more fade.