View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Overgrown Grass, Sidewalks and Vertical Line Rule

So I played in a tournament this last weekend and had to take a penelty on what I thought was a slightly controversial call. In the long run I believe it was the right call but the explinations that I was given were highly frustrating and wanted to get some thoughts on the situation.

My tee shot on hole seven at Johnny Roberts DGC in Arvada, CO came to rest on the sidewalk on the far side of the creek. As I was walking to my disc the spotter put out a flag marking where I was last in bounds. My disc had landed and skipped a bit hitting the edge of the grass that was on the side walk and came to rest right along the edge fo the grass. There appeared to be a few blades of live grass in the ground that were underneath my disc. My understanding is that this grass is in bounds and therefore my disc could have been called in bounds. The problem being that the people the edge the side walks do a bad job and most of the grass that my disc may have had under it was obviously growing out over the sidewalk. The spotter told me that the sidewalk was out of bounds and that the vertical line rule applied and that since my disc was completely over the sidewalk it was out of bounds. If there was indeed live planted grass under my disc, it is out of bounds in this scenario?