View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
There is only one part of this that i would disagree with you. Putting is a very unique to each individual. there are many styles and stable putters are not always the best choice. they lack glide especially and their late hook can cause many misses.
i have taught many people how to play (I coach a local HS club). new players 90% of the time seem to pick up putting easiest with a straight glidier putter such as the Aviar P&A, Magnet, Omega, Pure, & etc. the reason i think this works out better for new players is because they havnt developed the ability to accurate place their putter with pushing power. and trying to force that power in early only develops bad putting habits and frustration.
I'd call this a minor point and you really can go either way. At 20' and in I think a vast majority of the people asking questions on here won't have a problem generating the power needed to perform a putt. I'm more concerned about learning approach shots and drives. The slightly more stable, beaded putters (the Omega has a small bead) are a bit better in the wind, even for putts, and most of them won't flip, even on huge throws. I'd just assume start off with the putters that perform the best rather than starting with what's the easiest and then trying to figure out if it's you or the disc if it's windy or you get a really good pull. My main point is to avoid some of the overstable (e.g. Rhyno) or understable lid-like putters (e.g. Putt'r) when you start off.

Quote:
there are numerous top end pros who putt with slightly understable putters.
I covered that in the last paragraph. They're in the "throw whatever you want because you're good enough that disc selection matters less" category.