2. 309 feet (through the woods)
3. 180 feet (onto the island green)
4. 243 feet (through the woods)
5. 345 feet (up the hill)
6. 372 feet (down the hill)
7. 306 feet (up another hill)
8. 270 feet (down the hill)
9. 396 feet (grip n rip finisher)

This is a design of a course I'm pretty close to having installed, but I have a few questions.

The first hole is in yellow and it should flow pretty logically from there.

This is my first time designing a course and I've talked to a few disc golfers already and they generally approve of the design, so I'm opening it up to you guys. I really take any feedback seriously and even just a will make me happy. I feel it has a nice mix of variety, safety, fun, and challenge.

I realize the course breaks flow twice, but that's because between 4/5 there's a picnic area and between 8/9 there's a soccer field and I'm pretty concerned about safety.

Questions:
1. I think maintenance is pretty easy. It just consists of mowing fairways, right? Outside of this, the club can do the maintenance such as cleaning the tees and such? It doesn't cost very much at all, does it?

2. Because I don't think the city will be paying for this, do you think it's best not to get cement tees off the bat and just get signs instead?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 585
Throwing Style: RHBH
What skill level are you designing for? For Blue (Advanced) level, any distance that starts with a 3 should be looked at closely unless there's pretty good elevation involved. Hole lengths from 320 to 450 on fairly open holes on level ground are typically tweeners or don't produce enough birdies. It looks like holes 1, 2, 7 & 9 are too long and 5 is too short for a par 4 or too long for a par 3.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 114
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ Send a message via Skype™ to ElementZ
I'm essentially designing for white, which is supposed to be between 2250 and 3000 and mine is approximately 2700 feet. I shortened up holes #1 and #2 by 70 feet and 40 feet respectively.

Would you suggest moving #5's basket closer and then pushing the tee for #6 up farther, in an effort to make a par 3 and par 4 respectively? That would make #5 240 feet and #6 452 feet.

Last edited by ElementZ; 09-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 585
Total length isn't as important in defining a skill level as the individual hole lengths. Shortening 1 & 2 sounds good. If you can do it, it would be better to make 5 longer like 410-450 uphill for a par 4 and 6 a little shorter like maybe 325-350 for a par 3 although your 452 idea is borderline okay for a par 4 if there's room to do both as par 4s.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Don't go concrete until the design is set in stone maybe just markers and fine woodchips or gravel where erosion could be an issue.

Signs are always good-- small next tee sign with arrows are key in places where the flow is broken.

Maintenance is generally whatever you want to put into the course and it will show-- some courses are maintained at 10x that of others. Some tree removal could be possible, any storm damages, erosion control, Wood-chips around baskets, and general landscaping to improve flow (keep players in-line) as well as overall experience through the use of native flowers, additional trees or bush/shrubs, stairways, railings, paths, benches, "bag holder" posts with hooks, and many other maintenance improvements which are possible throughout the life of a course.

Keep in mind the idea of any possible expansion also. Lengths of holes seem good specially considering slopes and not generally EASY but do not seem hard either. I do like the suggestions of possibly shortening a hole or 2 making it more technical but shorter and giving even a longer set of holes also. People like their big downhill rips and open D shots to let loose sometimes

Looks nice and good luck! Check out the top reviewed courses and read those pro's/con's also so you can see generally what is good for the course and where they tend to lack or have issues.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Updated:

1. 285 feet
2. 261 feet
3. 180 feet
4. 228 feet
5. 243 feet
6. 456 feet
7. 306 feet
8. 270 feet
9. 396 feet

It changed the average hole length by -20 feet, but I think you guys are right in that it's better. I'm loving the advice, feedback, and encouraging words. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Bench at 7 would be good.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

So in terms of design, is this pretty much good then?