Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy > Rules Questions & Discussion

View Poll Results: have you ever taken Optional Relief?
yes, i have used it 14 31.11%
no, i have never used it 31 68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Sure sign it was a bad throw when I reach my disc, weary and bleeding, look around and mutter, "Gee. I've never seen this place before." And it's my own yard.

But, honestly, my skills enable me to find unplayable lies on LOTS of courses,.
I seem to remember you saying exactly that about two of my throws when we played there.

On the op, I've never found myself in a spot in a tournament where I thought it would help, and I use situations like that as get out of trouble practice in casual rounds.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
I'm not sure if I completely understand. That is exactly what I do. However, I thought all relief was optional.

The course that I find myself playing on most of the time, hole 9 occasionaly floods. Therefore, the water would be casual and I would take a relief as I do not want to stand in water that would come over the ankle of my shoes.
casual water has no penalty stroke attached!

what they are saying is if you find yourself 50 ft in thick brush or on the edge of a cliff, you should just re-tee. You can not take the optional relief unless you move on the same line as youre on just backwards! you can not move left or right you can only move backwards(i believe) correct me if i am wrong.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
803.06 Optional Rethrow
At any time, a player may elect to rethrow from the previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved, from an approximate lie as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

I think this is what some of us have been talking about, though we should call it Optional Rethrow, not Optional Relief.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
803.06 Optional Rethrow
At any time, a player may elect to rethrow from the previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved, from an approximate lie as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

I think this is what some of us have been talking about, though we should call it Optional Rethrow, not Optional Relief.
There is both optional relief (803.5 C) and opptional rethrow (803.6) in the rules.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Yeah, I realize that now....the O.P. was about Optional Relief but somewhere along the way, I started thinking "Optional Rethrow" in my posts. Oops. Time for an "Optional Repost".
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmCHILLfromCEDARHILL View Post
casual water has no penalty stroke attached!

what they are saying is if you find yourself 50 ft in thick brush or on the edge of a cliff, you should just re-tee. You can not take the optional relief unless you move on the same line as youre on just backwards! you can not move left or right you can only move backwards(i believe) correct me if i am wrong.

Correct Sir!

Quote:
Yeah, I realize that now....the O.P. was about Optional Relief but somewhere along the way, I started thinking "Optional Rethrow" in my posts. Oops. Time for an "Optional Repost".
lulz

this is a topic about a mostly unused option in the rule book so i understand that there is some confusion.

i initially posted the entire page and highlighted the part i am referring to so that everyone could see the difference from casual to the penalty option.

any more optional relief stories out there?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 586
In the older rulebook, you used to be able to take a 2-throw penalty to relocate your lie anywhere on the fairway you wanted but no closer to the hole. I never used that option but I remember when you could go sideways from a bad lie up to 5m and no closer to the hole with a 1-shot penalty. I used this one time at the Cincy Worlds in 1998 when I was in a nasty stand of pricker bushes just inside the woods and 5m got me to the edge so I could reach out and flick a shot toward the pin to try and save 5.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 AM

When I first started playing we called this a "foot wedge" LOL. But I have had to use this when I'm off in the thorns etc. when it was just too thick for any kind of a shot including "back tracking" away from the hole to get out of it.