Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If a 36-year old feels he can't hang with Open then maybe he should be an Amateur or if his rating is already under 970, he can enter Advanced.
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Said 36 yr. old being myself has been a consistent 950-960 rated player for 5yrs and has played Adv. for the majority of that time doing Open every once in a while. In CO the Open masters division best represents my playing level and has for years. I have minimal, to no shot, of ever cashing in Open and generally will place top 5 in every tournament if playing Adv.

I am in a predicament this year in that I went to the Player's Cup where everyone cashed. Will I have to renew as a Pro even though the PC was an X tier or can I renew as an AM?

I'm pretty sure all the Masters players in CO wouldn't have a problem w/ me being in there division it just seems the PDGA has an issue. Which is frustrating if you are a player stuck in the grey area of ratings and skill level and have been for years. Before you say just practice more or go play Open and you will get better....these are not options for everyone especially with a Wife and 2 kids and having to pony that extra $$ to play an event where you are already outclassed before you hit the first tee.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
A consistent 36-yr old 950-960 player is an Advanced player not a Pro Master player even if your rating is in their range. You'll have to renew as a Pro for 2012 since you accepted cash. I'm thinking you could have asked to get payout from Players Cup in merch to keep Am status. I would think Dodge would have been fine giving you all kinds of Vibram discs in lieu of cash. You can still petition Tour Director, Andrew, to reinstate as an Am to save $25.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 01-01-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 168
Quote:
A consistent 36-yr old 950-960 player is an Advanced player not a Pro Master player even if your rating is in their range. You'll have to renew as a Pro for 2012 since you accepted cash. I'm thinking you could have asked to get payout from Players Cup in merch to keep Am status. I would think Dodge would have been fine giving you all kinds of Vibram discs in lieu of cash. You can still petition Tour Director, Andrew, to reinstate as an Am to save $25.
Except that you have to wait until you haven't accepted cash for a year before you can just get a possible reinstatement to AM status.
(Please also STOP saying OPEN Masters - there is NO such thing as OPEN Masters as OPEN is Open to anyone, where Masters is restricted to 40 year old and older in a PDGA sanctioned Event)

I face the same things here in GA when the TD's go with no PRO Masters Divisions - I either get nothing or last cahs in Open or play ADV for a competitve game, but feel like crap playing AM even though it is competitive after playing pro for 15 years.
In large out of state Events I always play Pro GM as it is where I am the most competitive, but in local events even in Pro Masters, there are several players in the 970+ ratings range - making it still a challenge to be competitive or cash in smaller fields with my 951 rating.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
Keith...I've noticed a lot of events in your area will only offer two divisions. One time the two divisions were INT and Open. Saw a post where that was done to pack the pro so the top level players we get more money. Is that true?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
keith johnson - Please also STOP saying OPEN Masters - there is NO such thing as OPEN Masters as OPEN is Open to anyone, where Masters is restricted to 40 year old and older in a PDGA sanctioned Event
Sorry Keith, open masters can be as descriptively correct as Open Women or open amateur. Those divisions would be "open" to all players who meet some basic requirements. Remember that regular Open is still restricted to current PDGA members at A-tiers and higher who are not temporarily suspended.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 01-01-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
In a PDGA event, unless notice is given before hand, the TD is required to offer a division if 4 people who qualify for the event and the division request it. If TDs in your area aren't offering pro masters, just find three other 40+ players who will stand with you and request it. The TD cannot refuse your request. If he does refuse to offer the division, report him.

Quote:
J. A Tournament Director may, by giving adequate public notice, restrict the divisions offered. Absent such notice, the director shall offer for competition any division which has four or more players that are eligible and wishing to compete. Tournament Directors may offer divisions with less than four players at their discretion.

Last edited by jenb; 01-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 168
Quote:
Sorry Keith, open masters can be as descriptively correct as Open Women or open amateur. Those divisions would be "open" to all players who meet some basic requirements. Remember that regular Open is still restricted to current PDGA members at A-tiers and higher who are not temporarily suspended.
I'm not going to debate semantics with the semantics king, but everyone knows when people say "open" Masters for PDGA Sanctioned Events they are trying to say PRO masters - Masters and any age restricted divisions are NOT open - as only those meeting age requirements are eligible to play in them - Open Pro or ADV are the only eligible Divisions for anyone able to throw a disc no matter their age, sex, or rating and that the Open women division is restricted to gender of females, while women are eligible to play Open Pro Men, men are not eligible to play Open Women - so for all intents and purposes of the original posters question and my original request to stop saying Open Masters - my request is accurate and your response is as off base as the "open" Masters people.

Happy New Year by the way Chuck - Look forward to seeing you in Charlotte!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM

I won't be playing but helping this year. I'll be gearing up to to enter Open Sr GM at 2013 Pro Worlds wherever that will be...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
In a PDGA event, unless notice is given before hand, the TD is required to offer a division if 4 people who qualify for the event and the division request it. If TDs in your area aren't offering pro masters, just find three other 40+ players who will stand with you and request it. The TD cannot refuse your request. If he does refuse to offer the division, report him.
I'd think offering only certain divisions is the same as giving advance notice. That's the way we interpret it.

Anyway, for the O.P., at TD is going down a slippery slope when granting exceptions. Grant one this year, get 20 requests next year. Ask all the Pro Masters if they're OK with it, they may say "yes", but then a couple will be grumbling if you do well and saying they just went along with it to go along with it.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'd think offering only certain divisions is the same as giving advance notice. That's the way we interpret it.
Likewise. I've always consider the ommittance of certain division choices on the sign up page as "advanced notice."