Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ok to further add to my curiosities from last night and since it's kinda nasty outside today, is the Axis anywhere near as form sensitive as a Comet?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
I have an odd putting style, I stand sideways and putt through like a slow motion up-shot with planted feet. I spend 2 years trying traditional putting styles and I couldn't get any power or spin. Outside of 10 feet it was like that last pitch in Rookie of the Year just to get it to the basket. My way, what gets it there straight and center is heavy on the wrist snap and very dependant on my release. Mostly though, it works on the same principle as traditional putting, just with emphasis on the other axis. I haven't ever tried the Ion but I putt with a stiffer Wizard. I have a couple Ions in the mail and was wondering if you guys think they will work out for my unothordox style. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
Ok to further add to my curiosities from last night and since it's kinda nasty outside today, is the Axis anywhere near as form sensitive as a Comet?
The Axis is nowhere near as touchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
I have an odd putting style, I stand sideways and putt through like a slow motion up-shot with planted feet. I spend 2 years trying traditional putting styles and I couldn't get any power or spin. Outside of 10 feet it was like that last pitch in Rookie of the Year just to get it to the basket. My way, what gets it there straight and center is heavy on the wrist snap and very dependant on my release. Mostly though, it works on the same principle as traditional putting, just with emphasis on the other axis. I haven't ever tried the Ion but I putt with a stiffer Wizard. I have a couple Ions in the mail and was wondering if you guys think they will work out for my unothordox style. Thanks!
Sounds like you have a fair amount of spin on your putts, the Ion like spin, so you should be just fine!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Hey Chad and MVP,

Just wanted to you to know that I took your eclipse vector on a couple dates this week and...I know it's really soon but I think I love it. Just wanted your blessing to continue this relationship, I've got a good feeling about the long term.

Sincerely,
James

---

In all seriousness though, the vector is a phenomenal overstable mid, exactly what I was needing after I beat up my other OS mids until they were flippy. I've got an Eclipse Axis coming in this week to try out as well. These are my first MVP discs and they made a great impression, keep up the good work
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
Sounds like its a pretty aggressive style of putting. I'm not really sure why spin putters are gaucking over the abode tho. I don't really think they'll see much of a difference until they get further out.
I'm somewhere in the middle. Putting is a strong part of my game (at least when there's no pressure ), and I've never met a putter I really didn't like except the Banger-GT. I do try to let my disc descend into the chains and drop into the cage though, so it's not super aggressive. However, I still go to my DX Aviar for most putts outside 40'.

Last edited by JoshEpoo; 01-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I was thinking about getting an aviar for longer putts, and when I came back from the course that day I saw that MVP has announced the Anode. So alas I wait.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
I was thinking about getting an aviar for longer putts, and when I came back from the course that day I saw that MVP has announced the Anode. So alas I wait.
And I was waiting on the Ion until the Anode was announced (literally picked up a couple Ions the next day, ha). Way to go MVP, sold me on 2 molds by releasing one.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
The ION seems like a fine putter to me. I don't see the people knocking it for push putting. I suppose if you are lobbing it way in the air over the height of the basket, but then any stable putter that is going to fade of harder, but then again even my APX putters will fade hard with a lot of height and not as much momentum.

I was a little concerned that the plastic would be a little too slick to my liking's for grips, but it's 34, wet, and rain/drizzly out, so I am thinking that wouldn't be much of concern either as the grip seems fine.

For driving with an Ion, do people tend to prefer mediums over softs more or vice versa, or is that all personal preference?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Most people like softs for driving. There are people that like mediums, but not as many. Mostly just personal preference. I don't think you'll see much, if any, difference between them.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
I don't much like the Ion as a push putter...the general consensus is it needs a certain amount of spin even if your putting style has that up/down component like push putters use, and my style just doesn't fit that. Mike C set me straight on how it is best used, and I relayed that info to my buddy who has one and when adjusted to that style he liked the mold a whole lot better.

Ions seem to have a particular style that works really well but on the other hand makes it lack flexibility. That's just my .02 though, I like the putter just not for me lol.
Closed Thread