#11  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Voice of Reason's Avatar
Voice of Reason Voice of Reason is offline
*Reform School Scholar*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville SC
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,706
If what you said is true and hitting the wall is like hitting inbounds then i would say u were fine. as long as you were not putting from OB. it is fine in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Essentially, if you play from the wrong location and you discover the error, the throw is a practice throw and you go play from the correct lie. However, if you've played from the wrong spot and then take another shot after that one before discovering the mistake, you finish the hole if you haven't done so yet or you get whatever score you marked for that hole with a 2-shot penalty. That's the general rule for all mistakes like that.
Thanks, Chuck. Sounds like I should have taken a two-throw penalty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 4,242
Now, I'm pretty sure it is too late to do anything, right? I want to be as honest as possible about the situation. I did take cash at the tournament, and those two strokes would have probably taken me out of it.

From what I understand the dude pitched quite a bitch about it to the TD and everyone else, but nothing was done.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,581
If in fact hitting any part of the cement wall segments was considered inbounds, it was a poor choice by the TD. But setting that aside, you would be allowed 1 meter relief from OB to take a legal stance. In which case, you would have been able to mark all the way up on the grass putting area since you didn't have enough inbounds room out where the blue dots are located.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
jeverett's Avatar
jeverett jeverett is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOURNEYPLAYER View Post
If what you said is true and hitting the wall is like hitting inbounds then i would say u were fine. as long as you were not putting from OB. it is fine in my book.
If the point of contact on the wall is ruled 'inbounds', then I suppose that a legal stance would be one where your feet are both 100% inbounds (not over the edge of the wall at all) on top of that wall.. that doesn't look like a fun putt, to me. :P

Edit: Cgkdisc had a good point.. you'd then get relief to allow you to take a legal stance.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If in fact hitting any part of the cement wall segments was considered inbounds, it was a poor choice by the TD. But setting that aside, you would be allowed 1 meter relief from OB to take a legal stance. In which case, you would have been able to mark all the way up on the grass putting area since you didn't have enough inbounds room out where the blue dots are located.
ARG!!! That's what I was thinking, as my feeling is taking a stance on the wall wasn't exactly safe. No one had a rule book on them (amazing that we are pro's, isn't it?), so we were trying to come to a group decision.

Damn it! That would have been a much easier putt! I ended up chaining out the left side of the basket.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
If the point of contact on the wall is ruled 'inbounds', then I suppose that a legal stance would be one where your feet are both 100% inbounds (not over the edge of the wall at all) on top of that wall.. that doesn't look like a fun putt, to me. :P
I think you're correct.

...and yes, that putt sucked. Fortunatly, I have some really long legs, but it was still quite a stretch.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If in fact hitting any part of the cement wall segments was considered inbounds, it was a poor choice by the TD. But setting that aside, you would be allowed 1 meter relief from OB to take a legal stance. In which case, you would have been able to mark all the way up on the grass putting area since you didn't have enough inbounds room out where the blue dots are located.
Now, where would I take my relief?

The area where the guy in red is standing? That would only be a 10' putt.

Where the photo was taken from? Tougher putt, but still pretty easy.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,581
It's clear you can take relief toward the pin if that's the direction you have to go. Your relief follows the inbounds wall line until you get far enough where you can take the 1 meter relief presumably up on top. That's what happens when the TD doesn't realize there would be tiny IB islands, or peninsulas in this case, not big enough for a stance depending on how they define OB.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It's clear you can take relief toward the pin if that's the direction you have to go. Your relief follows the inbounds wall line until you get far enough where you can take the 1 meter relief presumably up on top. That's what happens when the TD doesn't realize there would be tiny IB islands not big enough for a stance depending on how they define OB.
That's what I was thinking, but no one agreed with me. Thanks for the help, Chuck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.