Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
If what you said is true and hitting the wall is like hitting inbounds then i would say u were fine. as long as you were not putting from OB. it is fine in my book.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Essentially, if you play from the wrong location and you discover the error, the throw is a practice throw and you go play from the correct lie. However, if you've played from the wrong spot and then take another shot after that one before discovering the mistake, you finish the hole if you haven't done so yet or you get whatever score you marked for that hole with a 2-shot penalty. That's the general rule for all mistakes like that.
Thanks, Chuck. Sounds like I should have taken a two-throw penalty.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Now, I'm pretty sure it is too late to do anything, right? I want to be as honest as possible about the situation. I did take cash at the tournament, and those two strokes would have probably taken me out of it.

From what I understand the dude pitched quite a bitch about it to the TD and everyone else, but nothing was done.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
If in fact hitting any part of the cement wall segments was considered inbounds, it was a poor choice by the TD. But setting that aside, you would be allowed 1 meter relief from OB to take a legal stance. In which case, you would have been able to mark all the way up on the grass putting area since you didn't have enough inbounds room out where the blue dots are located.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOURNEYPLAYER View Post
If what you said is true and hitting the wall is like hitting inbounds then i would say u were fine. as long as you were not putting from OB. it is fine in my book.
If the point of contact on the wall is ruled 'inbounds', then I suppose that a legal stance would be one where your feet are both 100% inbounds (not over the edge of the wall at all) on top of that wall.. that doesn't look like a fun putt, to me. :P

Edit: Cgkdisc had a good point.. you'd then get relief to allow you to take a legal stance.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
If in fact hitting any part of the cement wall segments was considered inbounds, it was a poor choice by the TD. But setting that aside, you would be allowed 1 meter relief from OB to take a legal stance. In which case, you would have been able to mark all the way up on the grass putting area since you didn't have enough inbounds room out where the blue dots are located.
ARG!!! That's what I was thinking, as my feeling is taking a stance on the wall wasn't exactly safe. No one had a rule book on them (amazing that we are pro's, isn't it?), so we were trying to come to a group decision.

Damn it! That would have been a much easier putt! I ended up chaining out the left side of the basket.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
If the point of contact on the wall is ruled 'inbounds', then I suppose that a legal stance would be one where your feet are both 100% inbounds (not over the edge of the wall at all) on top of that wall.. that doesn't look like a fun putt, to me. :P
I think you're correct.

...and yes, that putt sucked. Fortunatly, I have some really long legs, but it was still quite a stretch.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Now, where would I take my relief?

The area where the guy in red is standing? That would only be a 10' putt.

Where the photo was taken from? Tougher putt, but still pretty easy.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's clear you can take relief toward the pin if that's the direction you have to go. Your relief follows the inbounds wall line until you get far enough where you can take the 1 meter relief presumably up on top. That's what happens when the TD doesn't realize there would be tiny IB islands, or peninsulas in this case, not big enough for a stance depending on how they define OB.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
It's clear you can take relief toward the pin if that's the direction you have to go. Your relief follows the inbounds wall line until you get far enough where you can take the 1 meter relief presumably up on top. That's what happens when the TD doesn't realize there would be tiny IB islands not big enough for a stance depending on how they define OB.
That's what I was thinking, but no one agreed with me. Thanks for the help, Chuck.