Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl scott View Post
That's a strange (and possibly incorrect) method of using mandos. Seems like an OB line would be the way to go.
To have an OB line, you have to have OB territory. You can certainly define a hole's territory as OB for other holes, but in order to do that they would not only have to mark between the trees, but mark all of the land that belongs to Hole 7.

Also with a simple OB, any disc traveling through the OB territory is fine provided it finishes back on the IB side. With a mandatory, it isn't. The idea here was to keep discs from flying into the other fairway for safety reasons.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
Unless the player is right at the mando tree, it really doesn't matter to me if a player is near the imaginary "missed mando" line like position O in the OP diagram and has missed the mando line or not. It's going to cost the player one throw whether he gets the penalty and goes to the drop zone or doesn't get the penalty and is forced to make a funky recovery shot around the corner. Benefit of the doubt to the player and let them choose whether they crossed the missed mando line or not.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Unless the player is right at the mando tree, it really doesn't matter to me if a player is near the imaginary "missed mando" line like position O in the OP diagram and has missed the mando line or not. It's going to cost the player one throw whether he gets the penalty and goes to the drop zone or doesn't get the penalty and is forced to make a funky recovery shot around the corner. Benefit of the doubt to the player and let them choose whether they crossed the missed mando line or not.
This is sort of true. My recovery shot probably landed 50' or so closer to the basket than the drop zone (which is a small advantage but in some cases could be a large advantage).
Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 28
Lets face it Scott. You missed the mando
Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
Lets face it Scott. You missed the mando
It appears that way now, although I don't see how I could've known it that day. All you had to do was find the line and point it out to me.

edit: I probably still wouldn't have done worse than 5. Might've even got my 4...
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
When I 1st started playing on an object course at the univ. of Southern MS we had several holes that were mandos and most of them were shooting between 2 trees or objects. Interestingly we had no penalties or drop zones. If you missed the mando you had to go back and complete it by breaking the plane from either direction. they were played as truly mandatory, no exceptions.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl scott View Post
This was the hole that brought the dilemma to mind. When I played it I landed where the "O" is in my diagram in the OP. I was playing for money and convinced my group to let me unwind (although they didn't really believe me about the rule and I had no rulebook *feels ashamed*). I ended up with a 30' par putt that I missed.
So you convinced your group to let you play by 2006 rules which no longer exist after you missed the Mando - I'm gonna call you Cali Scott from now on - and watch you like a hawk at the GSSS Events since you are 6 years behind in knowing the rules of a PDGA Event.

PS -I'll have a rulebook in your players pack also, so you'll have no excuses.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith johnson View Post
So you convinced your group to let you play by 2006 rules which no longer exist after you missed the Mando - I'm gonna call you Cali Scott from now on - and watch you like a hawk at the GSSS Events since you are 6 years behind in knowing the rules of a PDGA Event.

PS -I'll have a rulebook in your players pack also, so you'll have no excuses.
Rulebook in players pack is awesome! I have a few of my own but had taken mine out for a rainy round and never put it back in. And those are in fact the current rules... I took the link from the PDGA site. (I had not missed the mando - group ruling)

But you can watch me like an eagle-eye if you want... you'll just see this:

edit: what is the interpretation a typical caveman TD would give?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 169
Not the missed or made part - the part about you saying "UNWINDING" - which went away as a rule in 2006, hence my Cali Scott comment, as most NorCal golfers still live with the unwinding rule as the "everyone playing majors or Worlds has to take officials test" proved in 2011.

Who's the caveman now?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith johnson View Post
Not the missed or made part - the part about you saying "UNWINDING" - which went away as a rule in 2006, hence my Cali Scott comment, as most NorCal golfers still live with the unwinding rule as the "everyone playing majors or Worlds has to take officials test" proved in 2011.

Who's the caveman now?
Use of the word "unwind" was meant to help those reading understand what my shot looked like. It was never meant to imply that I had missed the mando which would actually require an unwind. It had nothing to do with old rules...