Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
On this months HBO Real Sports-Possible New DG Training Method?

On the newest HBO Real Sports, there was a segment about a career Single A minor league player who had to quit the game because he blew out his elbow awhile back. Had it surgically repaired with a steel plate and at least 9 screws.
He got a job as a substitute teacher and helped coach the HS baseball team. He saw a training method for pitchers at the local mega Sports facility and began to learn the training method in order to teach his players. After using this system of weights balls and accessories
awhile, he found he was throwing harder and faster than ever and there was no pain in his elbow. Steve Delabar got back into Single A last season and finished the year with a win against the Yankees and is scheduled to be on the 2012 Seattle Mariner roster.
This training method was devised by a former major league pitcher and it uses overhand and forehand motions from what I saw in the video. The old Major League pitcher/ coach/ training guru noticed top tennis players did not suffer arm, shoulder, and elbow injuries to the extent pitchers do despite similar throwing/racket swinging motions and figured the difference was due to tennis players holding on to the racket vs the pitchers letting go of the ball. His method strengthens the muscles on the front shoulder and in turn generates more power for the pitcher.
I think this training method would translate well into the disc golf world.

Last edited by hipster; 03-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
link?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 83
From the Hardin County(KY) News-Enterprise Sept 14 2011:

Most Hardin County sports fans are aware of Stevie Delabar’s rapid rise through the Seattle Mariners’ organization this season. Delabar was a substitute teacher and coaching baseball at John Hardin prior to the Major League season beginning.

Now, Delabar is in the big leagues. Delabar can trace the climb to a new program Joe Newton has implemented at The Players Dugout.

“It’s unbelievable. It really is,” Newton said Tuesday after spending the weekend in Seattle to watch Delabar and Kansas City Royals pitcher Nathan Adcock, another local product.

Delabar went through a program called Velocity, which was designed by Jamie Evans. Evans, who lives in Maryland, has spent three years developing the program and has seen amazing results with a number of players, including Delabar.

“I think it’s amazing,” Evans said Wednesday in a phone interview. “I don’t know if a movie would do his story justice.”

Evans has been around the game of baseball for a long time, but the number of injuries to elbows and shoulders were beginning to reach “epidemic proportions.” Evans wanted to prevent such injuries from taking place.

Evans began studying other sports and one sport that closely resembled baseball was tennis. Tennis players put a strain on their shoulder countless times during a match and in practice when they serve. Evans said the main difference between the two was players let go of a baseball, while tennis plays hold on to a racquet.

That’s when Evans came up with Velocity, which focuses on acceleration and deceleration of the arm. The program uses a different variety of weighted balls to strengthen the arm and shoulder as well as improves arm speed.

“It didn’t start out as a velocity program,” Evans said. “It was to make the shoulder stronger and healthier. When it originated, it wasn’t to throw faster. Velocity became a byproduct. The shoulder became stronger and could handle more velocity.

“I think if we had a program which said come get your arm healthier or stronger, no one would show up,” he added. “If you call it velocity, people will show up.”
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 47
Got any basic info on the program. I can't seem to find anything with a basic web search.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 62
Send a message via AIM to shoe59
I need to find a wrist program like this -- just had 3 plates and 20+ screws put into mine.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe59 View Post
I need to find a wrist program like this -- just had 3 plates and 20+ screws put into mine.
Buy some WD-40 also.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 62
Send a message via AIM to shoe59
^^ ba-dum, ching!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
I'm also quite interested in 'Velocity' as they call it. They use weighted balls of different sizes, and instead of just doing normal pitches and throws they also hold onto the ball throughout the follow through. Supposedly letting go of the ball works the front shoulder muscles, keeping your grip works the back shoulder muscles.

Be interesting for someone to translate it into DG, but even as it stands it'd help overhand shots as well as basic shoulder strength.